Friday, June 29, 2012

Bat Crazy...

This is hard for me to write. Harder than the lack of progress from my previous few posts. The last two weeks, I have gained weight. I know it's common for there to be some up and down when one is trying to lose or maintain weight, but for a couple of months I was staying within one or two pounds of the same weight. Then the last two weeks, it was up by four pounds total. I know why. I've been eating junk, skimping out on exercise, and for the last week my sleep schedule has been completely upside down. It's so hard to find the drive to get back to making healthy choices, but one way or another, I am determined to do it.

Funny story. I mentioned my sleep schedule. Last Saturday night, I was sitting in the living room, doing something on my computer. It was pretty late, the house was totally quiet (more so than normal since I was the only person here), when I see a dark blur and a big shadow fly across the kitchen doorway. My immediate thought was, "Oh great, there's a bat in the house." So I watch for a minute, then go back to what I was doing. A few seconds later, the bat comes flying through the living room, into the dining room, then through the kitchen again, and around and around in crazy circles trying to find a way out. I started to freak out a little, because it was flying about halfway between the floor and the ceiling, and I was feeling a little trapped.

Then it flew about two inches above my head, and I really started freaking out (for me). It was pretty late by then, and I was the only one in the house and had no idea what to do. I called my mom, she's in California for a visit, so it wasn't near as late there. While I was on the phone with her, the bat flew close to my head a couple more times, and each time I hunched farther down on the couch, until I decided it would be better to crouch down on the floor and figure out a way to get down the hall and shut myself up in one of the bedrooms. Mom suggested I run to her room, since it has the attached master bathroom. Problem was, I didn't dare move for fear of the bat. Even while I was crouched on the floor, that darn bat was swooping down entirely too close to me for comfort. I ended up lying down on the floor in the shadow of the coffee table, still on the phone with mom trying to calm down enough to get to the relative safety of the master bedroom. At one point while the bat was flying through the dining room and kitchen, I gathered up my things and made a dash down the hall, closing doors to the other rooms along the way.

I was still too freaked out to do anything about the bat, and too on edge to get any sleep at all that night. I never considered myself a wuss before when it came to creepy, crawly, or flying things, but apparently I am terrified of bats! It took me a couple of days to recover,  and even though I didn't see the bat again after that first night I spent most of that time shut up in the master bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment