Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Too busy to work out?

I haven't made the time to work out yet this week. I really need to make myself get to the gym in the morning since my evenings are full with work and studying and writing research papers. I especially need to work out for stress relief right now, because classes are very stressful. Only two and a half weeks of class left, but those two and a half weeks are packed with homework. I have a group research project and individual essay for English Composition, one more homework assignment and a research project for Econometrics, three labs for Math Software (last week's lab took eight hours to get through half of it, so these can get pretty ridiculous), three labs for Computer Science and one or two programming assignments, and studying for three final exams. And that's just the list of things for school.

The last couple of weeks, I just have not felt like I have enough time to work out. I only made it to the gym twice last week, which isn't too bad, but I'm afraid I won't make it to the gym this week until at least Thursday unless I make myself go first thing in the morning tomorrow. I haven't been getting as much walking in either, partly because my leg isn't fully recovered yet, but mostly because I have just been in too much of a rush. I plan on making time for at least a walk tomorrow no matter how busy I am, because I really need to take that time to decompress.

Question of the day: Do you ever feel like you're so busy you just don't have time to exercise, but at the same time you know that's when you need to the most?
It's so important to make exercise a priority, not just for physical health, but for mental health as well. Having that time that's just for me to reflect as I work out, taking the time to be active and relieve stress, is something new to me over these last couple of months. I have to make a very conscious effort to plan exercise into my day, and I probably always will have to - it's just not a natural part of the way I operate, but I would like it to become that.


(Edit: Just got back from a walk and visit with a good friend. I actually looked up and saw her out the window as I was about to post the above, and had to drop everything and go out to say hello. I went ahead and joined her for a brisk walk and ended up spending some much-needed time not thinking about school as we caught up. Between the exercise, conversation, and laughter, I feel much rejuvenated!)

No comments:

Post a Comment